24 Aug Wine & Cheese Matching – An Otago Showcase
Top tips for preparing your own wine and cheese evening
What a pleasure it was to have been invited to a wine and cheese night hosted by the Mediterranean Market last night. It was an exclusive event with only 20 tickets on offer.
The evening was a showcase of Otago producers; with generous samples of four different wines from Quartz Reef Wines, three magnificent cheeses from Whitestone Cheese in Oamaru and paired with our oatcakes and gingerbread biscuits. It was a lovely presentation by Rudi of Quartz Reef, backed up by Simon from Whitestone, who offered some of his technical expertise around the affinage of cheese. It was an honour to be included with such esteemed producers!
So here are my tips for preparing the best cheese board and wine matching for the next time you are entertaining!
- Take your cheese out of the fridge well in advance of when you want to serve it, so the flavours can fully develop
- Put your best foot forward and serve your most delicious wine- life is too short to drink bad wine
- Serve some delicious fresh oatcakes and gingerbread biscuits with your cheese – steer clear of boring old water crackers which can be stale and bland
- Offer palate cleansers such as grapes or apple on your cheese board
- Most importantly, enjoy the company of your guests and celebrate with beautiful food and wine